Monday, April 7, 2008

Money for Nothin' and Chicks for Free


A recent e-mail exchange:

Frank,

I am working on a feature for (name withheld) magazine called "Rock's Secret Millionaires" that focuses on people whose work may be well known but whose names/stories probably aren't. (in-demand songwriters, session musicians, inventor of the Walkman, etc.) I know you designed the MTV logo, but I was curious as to whether you have subsequently retained the copyright to the image or had any sort of deal where you got a cut of merchandise sold with the image on it. Essentially, I'm trying to ascertain in the least tacky way possible whether you would qualify, however loosely, as a "millionaire." I apologize in advance for not finding a more graceful way of figuring this out.
Let me know if you can help me out.
Thanks,
D.

Dear D.,
Thanks for writing. And thanks for your tactful approach to the subject. Let's just say it's a classic blues musician story. Millionaire? Far from it. Good luck with your article. I'll read it.
Best, Frank

I figured as much. I suppose it's not surprising that in researching this story I've come across more people with stories like yours than those who have actually gotten the money due to them.
Take care,
D.

Dear D.,
In the words of the great David Lindley, "Pay Bo Diddley (Pay Little Richard Too)."
Best, Frank

No comments: