Sunday, April 6, 2008

Men of Peace


I recently attended the annual Tricycle magazine benefit. The evening’s events were dedicated to Gandhi’s teachings and included comments about The Satyagraha Forum (see previous post); Philip Glass and Tony Boutte performing an excerpt from Satyagraha, Glass’s opera about Gandhi in South Africa, a speech by the Executive Director of the ACLU; and the Indian diva Falu and her rock band performing, among other things. Gandhi’s favorite song (I didn’t know he had one). Got me thinking about my long relationship with Tricycle. This is the the first of over 40 covers I designed for the publication; it featured a striking photo of His Holiness the Dalai Lama taken by Herb Ritts. Looking at this cover in turn connected me strongly with thoughts and feelings about the current situation in Tibet and China.

No comments: