Monday, March 31, 2008

Heroes


I still can’t believe I actually worked with David Bowie, Brian Eno and Philip Glass together on one project. The package design for Philip’s Heroes Symphony, based on the music from the Bowie and Eno album Heroes, began as rough sketches on a napkin. (Yes, it is true that some really good ideas begin as rough sketches on napkins.) Philip and I were friends and had worked together previously on other projects so I was comfortable with him. I didn’t sleep much the night before the photo session with David Bowie. I also was pretty anxious the afternoon I met Brian Eno at his session. (Yes, I asked both of them for their autographs, and got them).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Frank, I'm glad you posted this, a powerful insight into the potential of the Napkin scrawl! Also much respect for getting the autographs and not trying to 'play it cool' as many might!

Frank Olinsky said...

Thanks Matthew.