Saturday, November 28, 2009

Rock Collection


I received an email asking if I had any large poster proofs or original artwork from the Power Station project. Unfortunately I don't have anything saved from that project other than a few samples of the album and singles packages, the tour book and a platinum album. That was about 25 years ago and time has a way of consuming things. The email did remind me of something vaguely related -- and extremely obscure! In 1985, my studio Manhattan Design, art directed and designed a series of about 50 greeting cards called "Rock Collection" for a small card company in Virginia. These cards featured excerpts from lyrics mainly by musicians popular at the time, including: Sting, The B-52's, The Cars, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Madonna, Tears For Fears, Eurythmics, and Hall & Oates. The artwork was done by a range of illustrators and photographers hired or licensed by Manhattan Design. One of these cards featured lyrics from the Power Station song "Communication." I created a full-color illustration of the Power Station figure specifically to go with the lyric. Alas, as visually cool and timely as the cards were, they were unsuccessful and I doubt they were seen by more than a small number of people attending 1985 stationery trade shows -- and the artists involved.

No comments: