Monday, May 26, 2008

Cabinessence


This piece created sometime in the early '70s was inspired by the Beach Boys song "Cabinessence" which originally appeared on their magical album Smiley Smile (released in 1967). It featured lyrics by the legendary Van Dyke Parks who collaborated with Brian Wilson on a number of genius tunes including "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes and Villans." Decades later I stumbled across Van Dyke Parks' website and discovered that I had just missed the deadline for a contest for pictures inspired by Van Dyke Parks lyrics. Even though the contest had closed and the prizes given out I went ahead and emailed my "Cabinessence" artwork anyway. Much to my total delight I received an email from Mr. Parks saying that he liked my piece very much and I should consider it a runner-up after the fact or something to that effect. (Damn, I wish I had saved that email!)

No comments: