Friday, March 14, 2008

New from Kronos Quartet


Kronos Quartet and Wu Man/Terry Riley The Cusp of Magic. This is the latest of many album packages I have designed for Kronos. My relationship with David Harrington and Kronos Quartet goes back almost two decades. I feel fortunate to have been able to work with the Quartet and Nonesuch Records, who have both been extraordinarily open to using fine art and fine art photography in their album packages. Over the years Kronos' packages have included images by Robert Mapplethorpe, Linda Connor, Aligiero e Boetti/Mimmo Paladino, the Starns, David Wojnarowicz, and Vija Celmins. The cover photo for this package is by the master illuminator Dean Chamberlain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful image. I remember being struck by the covers of a number of albums by them bought by my father including one of Witold Lutoslawski's work. Were you involved in that? Must admit to not being so keen on the music at the time, maybe because I was only 10...?!

Frank Olinsky said...

Thanks for your comment. Yes, as a matter of fact I did design that Lutoslawski package. The cover featured a photo by Adam Fuss.

Anonymous said...

Haha, then for me it's quite surreal to be sat here all these years (17?) later conversing with you! Well I hope you're able to keep this blog updated often (I only stumbled across it myself last weekend), as I for one will be one of your regulars. I cited your work once in a small presentation which was part of my year at art college back in 1999 (and similarly in my final year at school a year or two earlier), little knowing that I would bump into you on this bizarre world of the internet all these years later! Keep up the good work Mr. Olinsky.

Matthew

Frank Olinsky said...

Thanks again, Matthew.
It truly is a bizarre world.
Bizarre yet sometimes quite beautiful.

Frank